The III edition of the Conference of the Americas on International Education, which took place October 16 to 18 in Monterrey Mexico, saw 824 participants in attendance from 31 countries across the five continents. Under the theme “Knowledge Mobility: Responsibility and Resources”, a dynamic, thought-provoking and academically stimulating programme was presented, resulting in over 215 international experts from higher education presenting 55 academic activities, including the plenary debate, plenary interview, workshops and concurrent sessions; all of which covered the latest trends and immerging key topics of interest in the internationalization of higher education. Moreover, with two thematic networking sessions and interactive exhibition booth area, attendees were able to engage in inter-institutional exchanges regarding shared HE interests.
Over the course of three days, speakers, experts, government officials, philanthropic and public associations, conference organizers, and participants alike worked together to achieve a collective goal: use this common space to not only identify and discuss important trends in HE, but tocollaborate as members of the tertiary education community to exchange experiences, learn from peers from different cultural, social, and academic contexts, and build inter-institutional partnerships from across the Americas. An overwhelming response indicates that CAIE Mexico 2013 brought about concrete results in the form of signed memorandums of cooperation, identification of current challenges and strategies regarding the implementation of internationalization in higher education, consensuses on future pathways to explore specifically in the Americas, and pledges made towards taking action to implement these dimensions in everyday practises.
On behalf of the 21 signatory member associations, all our participants, and the CAIE Executive Secretariat, let us express our most sincere gratitude to Jesús Ancer Rodríguez, President of the l’Universidad Autónoma de Nuevo León and his entire team at the UANL for their outstanding contribution to this conference and gracious hospitality, as well as theAsociación Mexicana para la Educación Internacional (AMPEI) and our organizational committee for their support and involvement.
- 824 participants hailing from 31 countries across 5 continents;
- Over 340 Higher Education Institutions participating in the event;
- 53 international academic associations and inter-American governmental representatives;
- 158 high level women leaders in academia in the Americas, coming from 77 HEIs from 20 countries, participated in the III Meeting for the Space for Women Leaders in Higher Education (EMULIES);
- Plenary sessions led by important political and academic authorities at the inter-American and international level;
- 11 workshops offered by organizations and academic experts at the inter-American and international level;
- 43 concurrent sessions given by international academic associations and higher education institutions;
- Over 215 international speakers and presenters from higher education;
- Two thematic networking sessions, organized by the Asociación Mexicana para la Educación Internacional (AMPEI);
- Exhibition area for higher education associations and institutions, government representatives, and private sector entities, in attendance as official CAIE Mexico sponsors;
- Activities and events reflective of Mexican culture and traditions.